Below are two high-level presentations on vCloud Air and vCloud Air DRaaS. Both were provided to my customer on 10/6/2014 and any pricing included in the presentations is valid only as of that date.
In addition, I invite you to visit VMware’s vCloud Air pages, which contain more use cases, examples, and resources for your consideration.
- vCloud Air Overview
- vCloud Air DRaaS
I don’t usually get on a soapbox when it comes to such things, but I’m making an exception here. I ask the following questions: If, like most IT organizations, you trust vSphere and VMware as the basis for your internal infrastructure – whether you call it a cloud or not – why wouldn’t you consider using it as the basis for your externally hosted infrastructure? Why wouldn’t you leverage the same hypervisor, management tools, virtualization company, and trained human capital to manage both your internal and external compute resources?
Put another way – why do the same thing, but in a different way, just because it’s on an external cloud? Makes no sense to not at least consider vCloud Air.
September 22, 2014
VMworld 2014 Announcements presentation for your everlasting enjoyment. I truly hope this is helpful.
A quick run-down of the VMworld 2014 Announcements:
On the SDDC Front:
- EVO: A new family of hyper-converged infrastructure, the fastest way to build and deploy a software-defined data center. With EVO:Rail, the time to deploy is cut to 15 minutes from the moment the hardware, provided by our partners, is racked. 15 minutes!!! EVO:Rack (in Tech Preview) expands this concept out to the rack to provide even more scalability, simply provided. In fact, part of the Hands On Lab infrastructure ran on EVO:RACK, which we gave a Tech Preview of at the conference.
- Docker Containers Partnership: Containers without compromise through our partnerships with Google and Docker.
- Openstack on vSphere: Choice without disruption through our announcement of OpenStack APIs being available on top of the VMware infrastructure.
- NSX 6.1: With NSX 6.1 and micro-segmentation we offer customers a unique way to secure their data centers within the perimeter. Micro-segmentation – the ability to easily bind your security policies to your apps, instead of your firewalls, is the leading use case driving the adoption of NSX.
- vCloud Suite 5.8: with improved BC/DR, support for Hadoop 2, improved NSX interoperability, and new proactive support with the free Support Assistant vCenter plug-in.
On the vCloud front:
vCloud Hybrid Service vCloud Air: Our hybrid cloud is being renamed after one year of momentum. Already we’ve introduced DaaS and DRaaS offerings on top of vCloud Air, and we continue to strengthen the offering with…
- vCloud Air On Demand: Simple. Fast. Flexible. Pay per minute, only for what you need, and it’s immediately available. Try the beta.
- Beta of vRealize Air Automation: Our management and business suites will be renamed and refocused for the cloud. vRealize Air Automation, the first in a family of new as-a-service cloud management offerings enabling customers to automate the delivery and on-going lifecycle management of applications and infrastructure services. vRealize Air Automation is vCloud Automation Center (vCAC), just as-a-service.
- vCloud Air Network: With almost 3,900 partners around the world, VMware offers more choice than any other cloud provider through their unique services and offerings.
And in EUC…
- Workspace Suite launch: With Workspace Suite end-users gain a unified experience across mobile and desktop services while IT gains a comprehensive management solution.
- Citizen Philanthropy: We invited attendees to help us give our money worthy causes through Citizen Philanthropy. Destination Give Back is where attendees could build and fly paper airplanes in support of their cause. The further the flight, the more VMware donated on their behalf. Together, we raised $248,460 dollars in four days.